Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Mayon still at Level 4 as it is still dangerous
A. Mayon Update as of 220800H August 2006
- Six (6) minor explosions were generated by the volcano but were not observed due to clouds covering the summit crater.
- A total of 24 volcanic earthquakes and 431 tremor episodes were recorded. The volcanic earthquakes are associated with magma movement and degassing within the volcano. Tremor episodes produced by rockfalls and detaching lava fragments from the lava flow indicate active depositon of lava.
- ALERT LEVEL 4 is still in effect, which means that hazardous explosive eruptions are still possible. The 8-kilometer radius Extended Danger Zone (EDZ) in the southeast sector should continue to be off- limits and 7- kilometers at other areas around the volcano.
- Residents of areas just outside and adjacent to the EDZ are also advised to be on alert regarding their status for possible evacuation in case volcanic activities escalates.
B Status of Evacuation Operations
- The total number of evacuees coming from the 32 barangays of Sto.Domingo, Daraga, Camalig, Malilipot, and Guinobatan; and the cities of Legazpi, Ligao and Tabaco is 9,245 families or 43,430 persons (staying inside the 29 evacuation centers) while a total of 127 families or 561 persons were staying outside evacuation centers in Brgys Mabinit, Bonga, Natanag and Buyuan, Legaspi City.
II. Humanitarian Response
A. The amount of assistance from national (DSWD, DOH, BFAR and PNRC), local (LGUs, NGOs and other GOs ) and foreign donation is P15,658,420.19 (cash - P4,961,296.00 and in kind – P10,697,124.19)
B. The amount of standby funds from OP, DSWD, DOH and PNRC is P262,313,268.21.
NDCC MEDIA UPDATE
C. Local Actions:
- DOH RO5 is conducting regular surveillance on the health status of evacuees.
- OCD-RDCC will install a tent hospital in San Andres Evacuation Center, Sto Domingo, Albay.
- CHD-V purchased additional medicines and dental supplies for AFP ResCom's Medical Mission Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- OCD-RDCC distributed portalets to designated evacuation sites.
- Allocation of inflatable water tank to be used at Bagumbayan Elementary School for domestic use.
Evacuation Centers Management /Shelter
- PDCC allocated tarpaulin tents provided by UNICEF for distribution to the evacuation centers to serve as holding area of the evacuees while classes are going on
- Coordinated and submitted the distribution lists of LGUs requiring tents donated by Japanese Government thru JICA coordinator Logistics
- OCDRC-V facilitated the following:
Installation of VHF Repeater in Estanza, Legaspi City to enhance transmitting capability
Repair of standby generator set (30 KVA) to be utilized in the tent hospital
Transport of relief items donated by SM Foundation and Liberty Commodities
With the exception of public UN sources, reproduction or redistribution of the above text, in whole, part or in any form, requires the prior consent of the original source.